|Cola-Con is back with The Foreign Exchange & Dead Prez!|
|Written by Staff Writer|
|Tuesday, 08 October 2013 07:39|
Cola-Con is the only hip-hop and comic book convention in America. Part festival, part “con,” this family-friendly, two-day confluence of hip-hop and alternative culture features live concerts by top national hip-hop artists, as well as comics vendors from as far as New York, Chicago and Minneapolis.
Homegrown in Columbia, S.C., Cola-Con’s goal is to keep it moving with the DIY energy that created hip-hop culture. It’s all about positivity.
Our 2013 headliners are Grammy nominees The Foreign Exchange and hip-hop legends Dead Prez. Get in on it.
Featured 2013 comic artists and graphic novelists:
• Steve Epting: artist, Marvel Comics
• Carl Jones: producer, THE BOONDOCKS, animator
• Matt Bors: artist, WAR IS BORING, editorial cartoons
• Ed Piskor: artist, HIP HOP FAMILY TREE
• Blue Delliquanti: artist and writer, OH HUMAN STAR, queer cartoonist
• Eric Darnes: colorist
• Dre & Sammy Lopez: artists, Piensa Art Company
• Sanford Greene: artist, ARMY OF FROGS
• John Pading & Shige Kobayashi: artist and writer, PRINCESS CALABRETTA
• David Axe: writer, WAR IS BORING
• Afua Richardson: artist, illustrator
• Jeremy Love: artist, BAYOU
• Keith Miller & Chuck Thomas: artist, Tri-Boro Tales
• Ronald Wimberly: artist, PRINCE OF CATS, Black Dynamite Animated Series
Founded in 2011 by Preach Jacobs of Mo’ Betta Soul and Sounds Familiar Records, Cola-Con has hosted performances by Talib Kweli, 9th Wonder, Ghostface Killah from Wu-Tang Clan and Phife from A Tribe Called Quest.
The convention also has featured heavy names from the graphic novel industry, from Marvel Comics editors doing portfolio reviews to panel discussions with some of the best animators in the country, including LeSean Thomas, the executive producer for “The Boondocks” and “Black Dynamite Animated Series.” Tickets for Cola-Con 2013 are $20 for one day and $30 for a two-day pass. Buy tickets online at: www.cola-con.com/
Tickets will also be for sale at the door at the Convention Center.
Cola-Con hours are noon to 10 p.m. on Friday, Oct. 25 and Saturday, Oct. 26, 2013.
Attend panel discussions throughout the afternoon and early evening Friday and Saturday, with headliners hitting the stage at roughly 8pm Friday (The Foreign Exchange) and 8pm Saturday (Dead Prez).